First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

Bookkeeping in Ireland

• 2 posts
  • # 114967

Hi there! I have gained level 2 award in Computerised Accounts some time ago in the UK. I have a lot of experience in bookkeeping.

I have moved to Ireland and I am thinking about starting my own bookkeeping business here. Multilingual support in such matters is always being sought so I thought about giving it a go.

Will my qualification be enough to start my own business and register with ICB? What will I be able to do after registering? Just general bookkeeping (which my award is for) or will I be able to do whatever I am sure I am capable of?

Thanks

• 28 posts
  • # 114986

jakub-mackowski said:

Hi there! I have gained level 2 award in Computerised Accounts some time ago in the UK. I have a lot of experience in bookkeeping.

I have moved to Ireland and I am thinking about starting my own bookkeeping business here. Multilingual support in such matters is always being sought so I thought about giving it a go.

Will my qualification be enough to start my own business and register with ICB? What will I be able to do after registering? Just general bookkeeping (which my award is for) or will I be able to do whatever I am sure I am capable of?

Thanks

Hello Jakub-mackowski,

I am also in Ireland, but I finished my studies in 2015. I soon realised that I needed more Irish specific training in order provide a more complete service to clients. I went on to complete the IPASS Certificate in Payroll Techniques and have just sat VAT and Income Tax modules of the Irish Tax Institute Tax Technician course. I will actually be submitting these qualifications to ICB in the next few days so I will have the clearance to do Payroll and self assessment etc for clients and apply for my practice certificate at the same time. I imagine your ICB qualifications will allow you to do in Ireland what are doing in the UK as you have not done the Payroll or self assessment exams with the ICB. If you wanted to do more as a self employed Bookkeeper, I would suggest doing Irish specific courses and submitting those qualifications to the ICB. But, experience is worth so much too, so you are already a step ahead depending on how much experience you have. The multilingual approach also puts you ahead, so stress that point in your "marketing".

Good luck with your venture.   Keep me posted!

Janine

• 2 posts
  • # 114988

Thank you Janine! I am planning to do some more Irish specific courses, indeed, but was actually wondering if there is any chance to be on self-employment and work as a bookkeeper and do payroll while gaining the Irish qualifications. I am having a lot of experience in financial field. I have been dealing with bookkeeping and payroll on a daily basis for the period of more than 2 years. The experience is obviously gained in the UK. If I was not experienced, I would not even try to go ahead with my idea of becoming self-employed :-P

• 28 posts
  • # 114992

I actually wish I had more experience as I see how valuable it is. All these qualifications aren't much it you don't have the confidence from experience to apply it. I wish I had the experience before the qualifications, not the other way around. It seems like you would be more than capable of offering the services whilst studying, but I'm not sure how that would stand with the ICB. I suppose just contact them and see what they say. Perhaps you could spend the time preparing your business while you are studying instead of aftually offering the services? If you know what kind of business you want and how you want to run it, what pricing mode you want to use, have a website etc etc before you actually start practicing, that is half the job done. The bookkeeping is the easy bit! Then you won't feel like you have wasted your time while you are studying and the ICB won't have the opportunity to frown upon you providing services that you are not yet qualified on paper to offer. Now, I could be a way off the mark here, but that is my understanding from reading posts and checking out the ICB practice licence terms and conditions. I expect to find out for sure in the next few days while I submit my practice licence request. 

Whatever you decide, good luck with your new venture. I look forward to hear how you get on. 

What part of Ireland are you in? I'm on West Cork. 

Janine

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last