First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

Which course...

• Practice Licence
  • 4 posts
  • # 78458

I am completely new to this forum, but I am keen to being studying the ICB exams - I am currently a stay at home mum but with the eldest heading to school in September I am keen to find a career which can be flexible enough to work around the kids.

I want a home learning course, and found an associate level course through the Open Study College, currently offering 60% off which is very tempting. http://www.openstudycollege.com/courses/icb-bookkeeping-complete.html

Does anyone have experience of studying with them? They are ICB recommended which I know is a good start, but I don't want to be lured in by a good deal if their support and courses aren't the best.

All recommendations gratefully received!

• 10 posts
  • # 81129

Hi, I am in a similar predicament as you, and am yet to make a decision on which training provider to use.  I would have a look at Ideal Schools and Training Links, both of which have good comments with the odd bad one, but they both offer all 3 courses to become AICB.  I am yet to decide which one.  Good luck in your course.

• 117 posts
  • # 81133

Hi, I have been studying with Open Study College. I have just passed my Level one and have now started my level 2.

Sadly I have never been with another company to compare with. 
Anyway going by my experience so far and from the feedback I have been reading about on this forum.

Open Study doesn't have it's own forum like some do, although I just use this one.
My tutor has been very helpful up to about 3 weeks ago (I'm wondering if she's have personnal problems).
There have been a few errors in the folder provided by Open Study, but then, as I have read on here so are others.
Also like other providers (or so I have read on here) the folder provided is not enough to get you through an exam.  Frank Woods business accounting 1 & 2 are great reads for extra help.

I hope this is of help.  I certainly don't think the Open Study College is bad, but having read from this forum other companys do have alot of excellent feedback.      

• Fellow
  • 86 posts
  • # 81138

Hey!

I replied similarly to another post on the forum;

For level 1, 2 and 3 manual you can buy Kaplan study books from the ICB shop along with revision kits. To be honest, I think this is enough materials to get you through the level 1 &2 (at least) without the use of a training provider. It would save you a few hundred quid! Using the Kaplan books, revision kits, the mock tests available here and another reference book called 'Mastering Bookkeeping' by Dr Peter Marshall should be enough, everyone on the forum is always really helpful when someone is struggling or has a question! Also print a copy of the syllabus for each exam off from the home page so you know what you need to study!

You could then buy the computerised course alone and it would probably save you a fair bit of money!

Don't feel pressured into buying quickly becuase of the 60% off offer.... They've had 60% off since January!  

Edited at 23 Mar 2012 12:30 PM GMT

• 65 posts
  • # 81158

Hey, emlyric - excuse me asking but how come you're a student member and you haven't even started studying yet?

• Practice Licence
  • 4 posts
  • # 81526

Thanks all, I have actually started studying now, hence the Student label!

I went with Ideal Schools in the end and I am very pleased I did - their course material and service has been excellent so far (Open Study put the hard sell on me which put me off). I would definitely recommend them - everything is very well explained and although I've only completed my first few assignments I have had them back within a day or so and with handwritten comments which makes it all seem quite personal. I also know they are just at the end of the phone should I ever need to chat anything through with anyone.

Hazydaze have you made any decisions yet?

• Practice Licence
  • 6 posts
  • # 81830

emlyricsaid:

“I am completely new to this forum, but I am keen to being studying the ICB exams - I am currently a stay at home mum but with the eldest heading to school in September I am keen to find a career which can be flexible enough to work around the kids.

I want a home learning course, and found an associate level course through the Open Study College, currently offering 60% off which is very tempting. http://www.openstudycollege.com/courses/icb-bookkeeping-complete.html

Does anyone have experience of studying with them? They are ICB recommended which I know is a good start, but I don't want to be lured in by a good deal if their support and courses aren't the best.

All recommendations gratefully received!”

Hi emlyric,

I'm in exactly the same situation like you did a course with Homelearning College and they are very good. Completed my Level 1 manual and Level 2 Computerise Bookkeeping with Distinction. You have tutor support and everone is very helpful I strongly recomend them. I don't know how much Open Study College charge but I didn't pay a lot and you get free ICB membership and all your exams paid for. Have a look at them and good luck. I did it and now looking forward to do more studies with them and hopefully a career one day :).

Kind Regards,
Dannie

• 1 post
  • # 81969

Hi!

I am new to the world of ICB too and here I am making my first forum contribution!  Currently looking after the books of the company I own with my husband.  I have decided to do the ICB Associate to give me a better understanding of what I am doing and bridging the gaps in my knowledge, but am having difficulty settling on the course provider.

I have been very impressed with the service of the Home Learning College, who have helped me decide on the right course but the cost is way higher than all the other providers.

Kaplan, although initially I had problems getting through to someone, have also been extremely helpful.  Their course seems to offer the same but almost half the price!

I would be extremely grateful if anyone has had any experience of either of these two providers.  I am particularly interested in the tutor quality and time taken for assignments to be returned and other "during the course" information.

I am sorry that I can't offer any advice to all you other people new to ICB but hopefully any answers I get will benefit you too.

Thank you.

• 11 posts
  • # 81971

I am disappointed with Open Study college, I regret the amount of money I paid for, but there is no way back now... 

• 117 posts
  • # 81978

Hi D.S.  sounds like you're in the same boat as me.  I've been waiting for an assignment to be marked since 21st March. I hope open study college sort them selves out soon. I bought the complete package of 4 courses and im only on the 2nd.

Sue

• 10 posts
  • # 82044

emlyricsaid:

“Thanks all, I have actually started studying now, hence the Student label!

I went with Ideal Schools in the end and I am very pleased I did - their course material and service has been excellent so far (Open Study put the hard sell on me which put me off). I would definitely recommend them - everything is very well explained and although I've only completed my first few assignments I have had them back within a day or so and with handwritten comments which makes it all seem quite personal. I also know they are just at the end of the phone should I ever need to chat anything through with anyone.

Hazydaze have you made any decisions yet?”

Hi emlyric, sorry havent logged on for awhile, I think I am going to go with Training Links other than Ideal Schools, only because they offer you a free self assessment course as well, hoping to start by the end of this month!

• Member PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 2 posts
  • # 82054

Hi Hazydays

I studied with Ideal Schools and I have to say they were/are fantastic. I nearly discounted them coz I thought another provider was offering more but turns out everything was included, just depends on what package you want.

I was on their website today and noticed that they have 15% off all ICB packages during April - Kind of gutted that wasn't around when I studied but great for all new students

Laughing    

• 10 posts
  • # 82217

Jo T-Wsaid:

“Hi Hazydays

I studied with Ideal Schools and I have to say they were/are fantastic. I nearly discounted them coz I thought another provider was offering more but turns out everything was included, just depends on what package you want.

I was on their website today and noticed that they have 15% off all ICB packages during April - Kind of gutted that wasn't around when I studied but great for all new students

Laughing    ”

Hi Thanks for that, I will look into it

• 4 posts
  • # 82979

Hi,  I just wanted to know how is Training Links course material for Bookkeeping, as I can't decide whether to go with Ideal School or Training Links both their offers are more or less same. I did my course Payroll course with Home Learning College- I know they are good but bit expensive. Do let me know your experience.
Ismat

hazydaze
said:

emlyricsaid:
“Thanks all, I have actually started studying now, hence the Student label!

Hazydaze have you made any decisions yet?”

Hi emlyric, sorry havent logged on for awhile, I think I am going to go with Training Links other than Ideal Schools, only because they offer you a free self assessment course as well, hoping to start by the end of this month!

• 4 posts
  • # 103885

Karasaid:

“Hey!

I replied similarly to another post on the forum;

For level 1, 2 and 3 manual you can buy Kaplan study books from the ICB shop along with revision kits. To be honest, I think this is enough materials to get you through the level 1 &2 (at least) without the use of a training provider. It would save you a few hundred quid! Using the Kaplan books, revision kits, the mock tests available here and another reference book called 'Mastering Bookkeeping' by Dr Peter Marshall should be enough, everyone on the forum is always really helpful when someone is struggling or has a question! Also print a copy of the syllabus for each exam off from the home page so you know what you need to study!

You could then buy the computerised course alone and it would probably save you a fair bit of money!

Don't feel pressured into buying quickly becuase of the 60% off offer.... They've had 60% off since January!  

Edited at 23 Mar 2012 12:30 PM GMT

Hi new to the forum.  I am interested to find out how to get through levels 1, 2, and 3 without a training provider.  Can register with ICB as a student, work through recommended books and complete and examination/assessment?

• 257 posts
  • # 103889

Simple

Buy on Amazon for 1p (secondhand) or download pdf for free - Frank Woods Business Accounting 1 - Read all the chapters relevant to the appropriate exam, you wish to takes syllabus (and do all the exercises etc) - Then do the mocks and book the exam - For the computerised accounts parts - get a knocked down cheap copy of Sage Instant accounts on ebay (or if you want to spend no money - use the Solar free trial).

Regards

Trevor

• 4 posts
  • # 103893

Much appreciated Trevor.  I am a lone parent of 3, business management graduate, youngest child recently started school and I currently have 3 book-keeping clients using previous skills and experience.  I am keen to refresh skills and gain accreditation.  This seems a budget friendly way forward.  Many thanks again. 

• 32 posts
  • # 103899

Hi atmbusiness,

We are thrilled to hear that you are considering joining ICB and becoming a member.

As Trevor said, you can certainly self-study for our assessments if you wish to.

As you are trading as a self employed bookkeeper, would you please be so kind as to confirm whether or not you currently have Money Laundering Supervision.

Kind regards,

Lily

• 4 posts
  • # 103900

Hi Lily,

Thank you for your response.  I confirm that I do not currently have Money Laundering Supervision.  I am concerned about this and anxious to find out more.  I would be most grateful for more information.

Thank in advance.

Ann

• 257 posts
  • # 103901

Good Morning ATM

I forgot to mention this may be of some help and get you a long way to Affiliate its FREE.

http://www.training-link.co.uk/page?xPage=free-trial.html

Regards

Trevor

• 32 posts
  • # 103903

Hi Ann,

We can help you with this.

You can contact us on 0845 060 2345 to discuss your options regarding Money Laundering Supervision.

Our email address is memberservices@bookkeepers.org.uk if you would prefer to discuss this via email.

Kind regards,

Lily

• 4 posts
  • # 103904

Hi Lily,

I have called and left a message and my contact number for you.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance.

Ann

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last
bottomBanner