First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

B3 Software - Solar or Sage One help needed please!

• 17 posts
  • # 114850

Hey all,

I'm self studying from home using the Kaplan books, and all my previous accountancy work has been using Sage Line 100 which I don't think even exists anymore!

Anyway, I'm working through the text book with both Solar and Sage One to see which I like best and I am having problems with both.

Solar - I'm finding so many functions that are mentioned in the book are missing, ie not being able to allocate customer/supplier account codes, not being able to set up product lines (set up a new nominal code for each one I'm assuming?),

Sage One - I'm preferring this but I'm stuck at entering opening balances. Text book says to use financial year dates of 1 Jan - 31 Dec 2013 and to use 31 Dec 13 as the dates for opening balances, however Sage One will only allow opening balance dates prior to current financial year, so 31 Dec 2012. Surely that would be marked as incorrect in the exam if I entered the balances in the previous financial year?

Also, it won't let me start afresh and change the company name which I assume I'd need to do for the ezam?

Could anyone who has done or doing B3 give me some pointers re the above issues, or am I overthinking things which won't lose me marks?

Thanks in advance!

• 30 posts
  • # 114851

Not sure if this will help you, but I used Sage 50 for that exam

• 30 posts
  • # 114852

Smilecuffie said:

“Not sure if this will help you, but I used Sage 50 for that exam”

• 17 posts
  • # 114855

Hi Cuffie

Thanks for your reply! Was the Sage 50 provided by a training providor or did you pay a monthly fee for it? I looked at it as an option but don't fancy paying £20 a month for it...

Thanks

Karen

• 30 posts
  • # 114858

Sage do a student copy 180 days for £55 plus vat.

• 17 posts
  • # 114859

That sounds interesting, I've tried googling but can't find a student version, I don't suppose I could trouble you for a link?

• 30 posts
  • # 114862

I emailed them and they got back to me the next day. 

• 12 posts
  • # 114863

Hi,

I've been using Sage One and haven't noticed that problem with opening balances, so I can't comment (it might just be that I've got something horribly wrong!).

You can get a month's free trial of Sage One and what I'm going to do is just use it for my coursework and then sign up again with a different email address for my exam. I know it sounds long-winded but it saves deleting anything so I can revise what I've already done. 

I'm not enjoying using Sage One and the advice I was given is that "ICB accept reports from all sorts of different accounting packages so as long as the content of the reports is correct, you should have no problem with them."

So if you come across any software that isn't constantly changing, please share? 

Good luck!

Andrew

• 794 posts
  • # 114866

Hi Karen,

I use Solar Accounts desktop version for all my sole trader clients and have done for the last 10 years or so.

Far superior to Sage One (in my opinion!) and much cheaper.

There is no rule that states all nominal depts must have a code/number as Solar lists everything in alphabetical order in each section e.g. Assets, Liabilities, Income & Expenses. So much easier than having to remember or search for a stupid code!

Regarding the products - not sure what you mean by this - do you mean list of individual items for stock control?

I know others have used Solar for exams without any problems and passed.

They also have a cloud version which incurs a monthly subscription.

Marilyn

• 17 posts
  • # 114874

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Cuffie - I've just emailed them, I might explore this option as I will need software for level 3 and my 30 day trials will have run out by then. Thanks for the suggestion

Andrew - That's interesting, so you've set the financial year to 2013 and it's not forcing you to enter opening balances dated 31 Dec 2012? If you find out how you've managed to do that please feel free to enlighten me!

Marilyn - Yes individual product lines for stock control. I've seen Solar mentioned a fair bit on here but having used Sage my entire working life it does seem rather foreign. I'm trying to plough through these exams as quickly as possible so am trying to find software that's a good fit for the exams and doesn't need too much tweaking if that makes sense! 

Thanks again

Karen

• Practice Licence
  • 1 post
  • # 114876

KarenB said:

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Cuffie - I've just emailed them, I might explore this option as I will need software for level 3 and my 30 day trials will have run out by then. Thanks for the suggestion

Andrew - That's interesting, so you've set the financial year to 2013 and it's not forcing you to enter opening balances dated 31 Dec 2012? If you find out how you've managed to do that please feel free to enlighten me!

Marilyn - Yes individual product lines for stock control. I've seen Solar mentioned a fair bit on here but having used Sage my entire working life it does seem rather foreign. I'm trying to plough through these exams as quickly as possible so am trying to find software that's a good fit for the exams and doesn't need too much tweaking if that makes sense! 

Thanks again

Karen

Hi Karen,

I used Ideal Schools and found them excellent and they provided Sage 50 as part of the package with extensive step by step notes and screen shots for every new stage.  I would suggest ring Brian McVean - he is very friendly and very helpful. I have recently passed Level 3 with a Distinction.  Their phone no. is 0800 028 1404.

Good Luck!

Paul

Edited at 22 Mar 2017 10:43 AM GMT

• 12 posts
  • # 114901

Hello again,

Hopefully you're doing well.

I did the mock exam for paper B3 using Sage One and I've also done the actual exam using the same software.

If you're at all worried about the software to use or the questions you'll be asked, I strongly advise taking the mock exam.

I know we're not allowed to discuss the content of exams but I think it'll put your mind at ease to try it - you're supplied with sample answers too, so you can check your own work against what might be expected.

Andrew

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last
bottomBanner