First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

Payroll self study

• 31 posts
  • # 115240

Has anyone studied this on their own without the assistance of a tutor? I havery no experience of payroll. 

• Member PM.Dip
  • 54 posts
  • # 115272

Hello Jo

Yes, I did late last year. I used the syllabus to find information on HMRC website because someone at my ICB branch meeting mentioned that that was what they did. I then bought 2 mocks, sat the exams and passed first time. I think it took me a total of 3 weeks to study and sit the exams.

Regards

Harriet

• Member PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 7 posts
  • # 115343

Hi Harriet, that's interesting as I have been looking out for a new payroll textbook to be released by ICB again but none forthcoming.

Did the HMRC site have everything you needed to complete the syllabus or did you need to get other textbooks (ie AAT) as well? Was it just a case of drilling down into all the different sections on the Gov.uk site?

Thanks

Sam

• Member PM.Dip
  • 54 posts
  • # 115344

Hello Sam

I remember I also contacted ICB about where I could find payroll text books and apparently one was going to be released in 3 months - that was in June last year. I then searched extensively and I couldn't find any textbooks without having to sign up for a course. In the end, I just used the HMRC website and bought 2 mocks, I passed 1st time.

• 3 posts
  • # 115794

Hi 

I have just started ICB and looking for the packages I need to complete the qualification.  I am self studying as I have been in accounts for 15 years but now want to branch out my self.

Could you surgest which packages I will need going forward, for payroll, tax, costing if any? And the computerised sections on levels 2, 3 and 4.

Thank you any advice in reply.

Sharron

• Member PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 7 posts
  • # 115795

Hi Sharron,

I used Moneysoft Payroll Manager to complete the payroll exam. It is a pretty good package, though for some reason they have removed the ability to advance holiday pay so you have to work around that. It has a free 30 day trial which is plenty of time to get used to the software and complete the exam if you have already familiarised yourself with the theory.

The tax exam is purely theory, no computerised sections so no need for a package to do that.

For the computerised sections of the main qualifications I used QuickBooks Online which has all the reports you could possibly need. Again, this is available on a 30 day trial for free which gives you time to do one of the exams. Pretty much all the major software has a free trial so trying out different ones for different exams gives you a chance to test which you would prefer to use in your own work. I had never used Sage before and didn't really get on with it but if you used that in your previous roles you may feel differently.

Not done the costing exam as have loads of experience in costing from previous jobs and to be honest it is never something clients have appeared particularly interested in.

As far as my setup for work generally, software I use is:

VT Transaction+ - one off license, dead simple to use and good for just chucking loads of transactions in. Looks old school and limited reporting but good for clients who just want their bookkeeping done annually.

QuickBooks - for clients who want more regular bookkeeping and reports etc. Worth becoming a ProAdvisor as it is free, you get a free copy of QBO for yourself, training in using the programme and they will reimburse £150 of advertising/promotional costs which is great when you're just starting out.

AutoEntry - for scanning invoices to upload to VT/QuickBooks where this is (a) quicker than doing ti myself (b) something the client wants to use. To my mind, more flexible and value for money than Receipt Bank but others may think otherwise.

Payroll Manager - for payroll. Only just qualified for payroll but like I say this looks good.

Taxfiler - Not started doing SATR's yet but having looked through the offerings Taxfiler appears to be the best VFM option for a small operation and gets pretty good writeups.

Hope that all helps.

Cheers

Sam

Edited at 17 Oct 2017 09:55 AM GMT

• 3 posts
  • # 115798

Sam

Thank you so much, lots to think about.  I will try the free trials, do you need to print and send or is it file and attach for the computerized exams ?

I have read that sage 50 is a contender, do you know of this one or agree?

Sharron

• Member PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 7 posts
  • # 115800

Hi Sharron

Export the reports as PDF and upload them when you take the exams. The exams have very clear instructions on what is required and all the major packages will give you what you need.

Personally not a massive fan of Sage. Having said that, they are one of the biggest and people will recognise them as a market leader. I spoke to a potential client the other day and when I mentioned QuickBooks they said "like Sage but not as good". I don't really think this is the case now but some people will hold on to that perception from when Sage was the only show in town.

To be honest, most of the big packages will have an offering which covers the needs of 99% of your clients so I'd be more concerned about what you feel comfortable with.

As I say, VT is amazingly simple to work with once you know your way around and comes in a striking tone of grey but very limited reporting and not cloud-based if you care for that sort of thing. There's those that do and those that don't and I'm not sure they will ever see eye to eye!

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last
bottomBanner