First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

Accounting for VAT

• Member PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 7 posts
  • # 115352

Can anyone help with this problem that I have?

I am the Bookkeeper for a Letting Agency.  I have set the tenants up as my Customers and the Landlords as my Suppliers.  Each month I import all the tenants rent as SI's and PI's  to the Landlords with PC's as our commission.  I then send a remittance out to the landlords with the payments made to them.  This has always worked well - until now !

I have just had to register for VAT and, for the life of me, I cannot work out how to account for this.

As the rent is VAT exempt it is only VAT on the commission that I have to charge.

If I put the VAT on the SI's then the tenants look like they have to pay too much rent.  Their rent should not change but if I put it on the PC for our commission then the VAT will go into the Purchase Tax Account and not the Sales Tax Account, which it should be.

Also the remittances that I now send does not show the breakdown of Net & VAT and the Landlords will need to see this for their returns.  There are far too many remittances being sent to be able to manually create a remittance for each one.

Anyone got any ideas to save me another sleepless night?

PS I am using Sage to do my accounts

• Member PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 48 posts
  • # 115379

Hi Suzy

It appears as though your landlords are both PI's and SI's. I would SI tenants using code (4000 say) and PI ( 5000 say ) landlords for exactly the same amount. Then SI landlords (4001 ) for commission plus vat. Hope this helps.

• Member PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 7 posts
  • # 115381

Thank you - Ah yes that would work for the accounts side.

I am working on an Excel spreadsheet for the remittances.

Thank you for your help

Sue

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last
bottomBanner