First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

Changing software

• Member PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 29 posts
  • # 115584

Hi

I am currently trying to change my employers sage line 50 2011 to a new software probably quickbooks online. 

My question is would you transfer all the data or i was thinking to use the opening balances from the year end. 

I appriciate any other advise 

Thank you

• 6 posts
  • # 115586

When we switched our company from Sage to Xero, I took the opportunity to have a bit of a clear out and so only used opening balances. 

In the old system there was a lot of unneeded stuff (suppliers and customers no longer in use, etc) so it was nice to start from scratch - it was a little bit of extra work for the first couple of months while we repopulated the contacts (we didn't add anyone until we had an invoice), but worth it in my opinion.

We then kept sage around to refer back to if needed, but in the end that wasn't really necessary except for the odd occasion.

• Member PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 29 posts
  • # 115587

Hi 

Thank you for the advise. 

This is what i was thinking to clear out any old and unused accounts, supplier and customers. Also i was thinking to introduce some new ways of reporting as we have so many sub accounts that they dont need nowadays.

Can i as you when you switched the software did you did it at the year end or it was mid year?

I am thinking to do a cut off poit mid year and star recording everything from this point onwards. My other option i was thinking was to use the year end opening balances and then import all the invoices from the start of the new year ( which was april so it is not so bad ) 

• 6 posts
  • # 115591

We switched at year end - at the time when it was decided to make the switch we were only about 3 months away from year end anyway, so the easiest thing was to just wait.

Personally I'd advise against switching mid year if you can avoid it - it's certainly doable but things could get messy at year end. Manually entering all your invoices might not be a bad idea if you don't have too many, if nothing else it's good practice on the new system!

• Fellow PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 400 posts
  • # 115592

Hi

I'd always suggest doing it at year end.  Makes it tidier.  I would suggest keeping an online record of what makes up each balance just in case there's ever a query plus saves adding in all the trade debtors and creditors if there's loads.

Regards

Liz

• Member PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 29 posts
  • # 115593

Hi
Thank you for the advise Badger and Liz.

I think i may wait until the year end and do the swich then, as it is not something i want to rush with. I prefer to wait and make it tidier than do it now just for the sake of it.

Thanks once again i appriciate your fast responce. 

• 44 posts
  • # 115652

I changed my clients over last year from Sage Line 50 to QBO. QBO gave me 1 year of previous year info when they did the switch. So if their year end was 30/9/16, I got info from 1/10/15 onwards. I didn't have to input opening balances. I suggest you have a chat with Adris at Quickbooks. He will advise you.

I would recommend having some history - you can always make inactive old, unused suppliers/customer records. It is a pain having to open Sage up to see history!!

Good luck!!

Hazel

• Member PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 29 posts
  • # 115655

devorah said:

Hi

I have been through the process of changing over from tas books to qbo for over 150 clients . Do give me call if you would like any help.Deborah 0208 457 7500. 1 am a plantunium parter and qbo pro advise.

Also you get ome month free to play with it.

Hi Devorah

Thank you for your reply, and sorry my delay in replaying. Thank you for the contact number as well i will probably contact you when i do the change so we can do it properly.

Have a nice evening

• Member PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 29 posts
  • # 115656

HRM Bookkeeping Serv said:

I changed my clients over last year from Sage Line 50 to QBO. QBO gave me 1 year of previous year info when they did the switch. So if their year end was 30/9/16, I got info from 1/10/15 onwards. I didn't have to input opening balances. I suggest you have a chat with Adris at Quickbooks. He will advise you.

I would recommend having some history - you can always make inactive old, unused suppliers/customer records. It is a pain having to open Sage up to see history!!

Good luck!!

Hazel

Hi Hazel
Thank you for the advise. I will consider the history as i dont want to keep opening sage. Even though i need to be at their office to the books it might give more flexibility with the suppliers commiunication as the qiuckbook will be accesable from everywhere and ill be able to respond queries faster. 
Thanks again
Bedros  

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last
bottomBanner