First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

PDF to Excel

• Fellow
  • Practice Licence
  • 5 posts
  • # 116167

Hi

Hope someone can help.  I have a client which now involes a lot of data entry. They send me a PDF document which I then have to imput onto Sage.  This can be very time consumng and I am looking for reccomedations for a software package which I can convert the PDF to Excel to enable me to import directly to Sage. For what I require the systems I have looked at seem to be quite expensive and I am looking for alternatives.

Thank you

• Fellow
  • Practice Licence
  • 5 posts
  • # 116168

VickieC said:

Hi

Hope someone can help.  I have a client which now involes a lot of data entry. They send me a PDF document which I then have to input onto Sage.  This can be very time consumng and I am looking for reccomedations for a software package which I can convert the PDF to Excel to enable me to import directly to Sage. For what I require the systems I have looked at seem to be quite expensive and I am looking for alternatives.

Thank you

• 794 posts
  • # 116169

Ask the client to give you the info as an excel document - I would assume they are converting the document from excel to pdf in the first place.

Let them know it is time consuming and will cost a lot more in fees for you to process - this usually has the desired effect and you will get the info in the desired format!

• Fellow
  • Practice Licence
  • 5 posts
  • # 116172

Thank you for your reply, Yes I have tried this route and they have told me this can not be done.  I beleive they can but they are not good in computer skills and the task has been difficult to explain on the phone, also the  distance of the client I am unable to go across and see for myself.

So I am trying to find an alternatives.

Thanks again.

• Fellow
  • Practice Licence
  • 5 posts
  • # 116173

Thank you for your reply, Yes I have tried this route and they have told me this can not be done.  I beleive they can but they are not good in computer skills and the task has been difficult to explain on the phone, also the  distance of the client I am unable to go across and see for myself.

So I am trying to find an alternatives.

Thanks again.

• Practice Licence
  • 3 posts
  • # 116358

Have you tried software such as Autoentry as this can read PDF formats and automatically upload to Software

• Fellow PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 6 posts
  • # 116359

Is the .pdf a list of items or a series of invoices that have been scanned?? If the latter..........

I use AutoEntry quite a lot nowadays, mostly it's integrated with our Xero or Quickbooks clients, but it's not suitable for all clients.

I also send in receipts (15p if you buy in bulk) - and then download them as a .csv or excel file, which can then be uploaded into Sage, using the Sage import template - so I am struggling to see why you were told that this couldn't be done.

Cost v time - yes 15p a doc adds up - However, if you have a lot of repetative receipts or invoices, it brilliant & time savings abound. Put a couple of typical invoices for each supplier through in the first instance - code them in AutoEntry, saving the details as prompted & where appropriate. When you then upload or e-mail in the rest, the coding per supplier, will be done for you (but you can change it).

In my experience, it's not cost effective for split invoices either as this is quite a clumsy process in AutoEntry unfortunately, but I'm hopeful they will sort this out, as they do seem to soak up feed back & I can see that the software just keeps improving. 

Departments can't be'memorised', but can be keyed in quite quickly from the main screen in AE. 

One pdf doc containing many receipts/invoices - Auto Entry will read the pdf & split it out appropriately into seperate docs with amazing accuracey.

Online help is pretty quick, and there is a team that can make necessary adjustments if for example a 2 page invoice should get split up - but I've only ever known this happen once in thousands of docs, and when I looked at the state of the doc - it wasn't surprising that AE had not connected the two!

Also bear in mind - even Desktop Sage can be integrated with AutoEntry - I was told it would take about half an hour, AEntry the guys set this up remotely.

Yes, I'm quite a fan. It's taken quite a bit of trial and error to identify what does & doesn't work, and the best methods for getting the docs into AEntry in the first place (recomend scanning app on phone for ad hoc bits & bobs, ScanSnap for feeding through lots of docs - it's amazing how well it copes with a pile of typical small till reciepts (flatten & stack first)).

I'm getting carried away now in fairness, but last point - scanning into data sets has actually proved unexpectedly popular with some 'hands on' clients & ourselves beyond time savings - as we can all bring documents up on screen whenerver we need to look back at something. This is the icing on the cake, and under the right circumstances, reason alone, to scan docs into software, and eventually throw away the folders (not quite there yet!)

After a slow start last year, where we weren't all convinced it wasn't just another palaver, we're using it daily now for the clients for who's data sets & invoice volumes it does really work for.

- If the .pdf doc is a list, then I guess I just waffled on for nothing! I don't think AEntry could do anything with that either. There are Adobe 'things' that you can buy - but I have no experience of them. Having tried a failed a couple of times to date. You could try remoting into their computer? And/or, split out your time on your invoice to demonstrate how much of the invoice is time spent processing the .pdf, to motivate them perhaps into finding a solution?

Appologies for rabitting on! Hope it helps.Smile

Lorraine

• Companion Fellow PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 1137 posts
  • # 116362

• Fellow
  • Practice Licence
  • 5 posts
  • # 116420

Thank you Lorraine for your email explaining it all the options, but I do use a PDF with a list of items.I should have more specific on my original request. However I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Thanks Vickie

• 28 posts
  • # 116453

If you have the full Adobe Acrobat DC version of Adobe this does allow you to select and copy text as long as it's from a document and not a scan. This may save you some time.

Paul

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last
bottomBanner