First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

What is a level III Bookkeeper qualified to do?

• 10 posts
  • # 116198

Hi there, 

I'd be grateful for some guidance on what roles I can perform in a Ltd Co please

I've been working as an accounts assistant under a fully qualified accountant at a Ltd Co doing basic bank recs, depreciation etc on minimum wage whilst doing my home study. I have now passed level II and III, and would like to go for a promotion (i.e. take on more challenging aspects and be worthy of a higher wage!) 

I wonder what the boundaries are to what I am able to do please, if an accountant is present to 'sign off' work, say VAT returns, payroll work, forecasts etc?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time

Claire

• 6 posts
  • # 116208

Hi Claire,

As you have passed your Level III ICB exams, you are able to carry out the role of an employed or self-employed bookkeeper, be able to reconcile bank statements with the ledgers, produce a VAT return, control the sales and purchases ledgers, post year-end adjustments and produce the final accounts for a sole trader, partnership and not-for-profit organisation in both a manual and a computerised system.

There are some resources on the ICB website on the level III syllabus and I will provide the link: http://www.bookkeepers.org.uk/Study--Qualifications/Current-Qualifications.

Feel free to get back in contact if you have any other queries and I hope that you find this helpful!

Kemi

• 10 posts
  • # 116224

Hi Kemi

Thank you for taking the time to reply

Unfortunately I am still in need of some assistance, as I would like to know if there are any legal restrictions on what I work I can do for the Limited Company which currently employes me.

The accounts 'department' of the company consists of myself (level III bookkeeper) and a qualified accountant. I would like to know if / what legal boundaries exist on what I am able to do please. If anyone reading this can help with that, I would be grateful 

For instance, through my studies, I have learnt how to do VAT returns. Can I suggest I do these for the company? Or do you have to be a qualified accountant to write and submit VAT returns??

Are there any other restrictions?

Thanks very much 

Claire

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last
bottomBanner