First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

Self Assessment Registration Names

  • 6 posts
  • # 110266


If a self employed person operates under two different trade names, can (and should) he register both names with HMRC?

Also, if in addition to the company incomes, he also receives a non-company income (eg by renting out a spare room), should this be reported separately in the self assessment or should everything be rolled up to gross figures?

I'm still studying for my Level 3 with Ideal Schools (a great course and highly recommended) but keep on questioning myself on how it all works in real life.

Thanks in advance for your help.


  • Fellow PM.Dip
  • Practice Licence
  • 400 posts
  • # 111373

Hi Andrew


If the sole trader has two businesses neither being Ltd then on the self-assessment he will put them down as two seperate self employments.  If he rents out a room in his house then he will refer to this under the property income.  Although if he receives less than the maximum amount on the rent a room scheme he will just tick the box that refers to that and will not have to add anything further regarding property.





  • 6 posts
  • # 111582

Thanks Liz - much appreciated.

  • Member
  • Practice Licence
  • 9 posts
  • # 111846

Hi All, 


Any one kindly send me level III SAT Study Manual and Mock Please , doesn't matter which year it is. 
Please I need it urgently as I will seat this exam very soon.

I will really appriciate you  .

email address is:

Many thank

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last