Working as a Payroll Agent: what you need to know

Before you can offer payroll services through your ICB membership you must have passed, or been exempt from, the ICB Level 3 Diploma in Payroll Management. You must also have been awarded, and be using, the designatory letters PM.Dip. You can study and take exams via one of our accredited training providers or self-study via ICB learning resources


Life as an ICB Payroll Agent

ICB is here to support you as an ICB Payroll Agent with a monthly webinar presented by our inhouse payroll expert which keeps you up to date with legislative changes that impact the way you work. In addition, you have access to a range of online resources including budget reports and rates information. And there is a responsive helpline answering your payroll questions as well as offering advice on bookkeeping, VAT and Tax.


HMRC Accounts for Payroll Agents: an Introduction

When offering payroll services you may also be required to upload the payroll data to HMRC under Real Time Information (RTI) reporting.  If you are offering this service through your own business then you should consider registering with HMRC as a payroll agent and adding clients to your list. This will allow you to speak to HMRC about your clients.

The process for accessing HMRC services as an agent is undergoing some considerable change. As a payroll agent, you will need to have an online account with HMRC - an Agent Online Services Account (AOSA). You may also need to obtain a tax agent code (depending on which tax service you wish to offer) and you will need to ensure that each one of your clients authorises you to act on their behalf for each service you carry out for them. 

For further details on how to register and set yourself up as a payroll agent follow the instructions on our Tax Agents page here.

For detailed information including relevant webinars and also the current thresholds, use the links in the right hand menu

For more information on payroll and pensions, head to our News page, and in the categories section, select 'Payroll' or 'Pensions'. 

Useful documents for ICB members

ICB produces up to date documents relevant to payroll & pensions which include: