First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last

Exemptions if I have AAT Level 3 and not Level 2?

• 3 posts
  • # 103114

I am undertaking AAT Level 3 Accounting Diploma having by-passed Level 2 (I was on a HMRC Tax Inspector graduate programme around 8 years ago [which I did not finish but passed the first 18 months modules] and demonstrated that I had a good grounding in the basics).  In these circumstances would I get the same ICB exemptions as someone who had passed both AAT Level 2 and Level 3?

Also, if I undertake AAT Level 4, do I need to do all modules to get the ICB Level 3 equivalency? or are some surplus to requirements?

Thanks for your help.

Edited at 03 Dec 2014 03:15 AM GMT

Edited at 03 Dec 2014 03:16 AM GMT

Edited at 03 Dec 2014 04:07 AM GMT

• 32 posts
  • # 103136

Hi Dargumin,

We are delighted that you are considering joining ICB.

Once you have completed your AAT Level 3, you will be eligible to apply for membership via exemption. However, unlike someone with the AAT Levels 2 and 3, you will need to pass our Membership Entrance Paper.

ICB operates a comprehensive exemption policy based on prior achievement and proven competence.  Whilst AAT have granted you an exemption from the Level 2 element of their syllabus based on a tax inspector course you took, but did not complete, some 8 years ago ICB would not.

The AAT Level 2 covers the fundamental core aspects of bookkeeping and is therefore vital to the work of a bookkeeper. ICB have found that applicants who have 'by-passed' the AAT Level 2 are lacking the necessary knowledge to achieve ICB membership.

Obviously you may well have sufficient knowledge to undertake and achieve ICB membership but ICB would not grant any exemption for firstly a course, secondly, a non bookkeeping course, thirdly one which was not completed and fourthly one undertaken 8 years previously.

You can contact us directly if you would like more information about mock papers for our Membership Entrance Paper.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reply to this post or contact us directly on 0845 060 2345.

Kind regards,

Lily Wilson

Member Services

Edited at 04 Dec 2014 01:20 PM GMT

• 3 posts
  • # 103141

Thanks for getting back to me Lily.

I had expected to have to do a Membership Entrance Exam anyway so that's no problem. It'll may around August/September next year when I'm looking to apply. 

I also may elect to do the Level 2 AAT Computerised Accounts module as I think that's probably the thing that Level 3 misses the most so it should bolster my CV.

First Previous - Page 1 of 1 - Next Last
bottomBanner