HMRC's regular Talking Points meetings provide ongoing information, guidance and tips to help you to understand tax issues.
HMRC has more Talking Points meetings coming up. There are a limited number of spaces, so save your place now.
Employers – what’s new for 2019-20? This webinar will cover:
- the updates to rates, thresholds and tax codes
- expenses and benefits – fuel benefit charge for company cars, vans and fuel benefit
- the new rates for Statutory Payments
- National Living and National Minimum Wage rates
- other changes that may affect your business
- what you'll need to think about for April 2020.
Tuesday 2 April – 1pm to 2pm
Income from property for individual landlords – changes introduced by Finance Act 2, 2017: A comprehensive look at two measures introduced by Finance Act 2, 2017:
- the cash basis for property businesses. (From the 2017-18 tax year, the cash basis will be the default basis for most property businesses that are run by individuals)
- the property allowance tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.
Thursday 11 April – 1pm to 2pm
Making Tax Digital: This webinar will provide the latest information, including the new Agent Services Account and signing clients up to Making Tax Digital.
Friday 12 April – 10am to 11 am
Friday 12 April – 1pm to 2pm
Tuesday 16 April – 9am to 10am
Tuesday 16 April – 1pm to 2pm
Income from property for individual landlords – common themes in relation to deductions and reliefs: This webinar concentrates on 3 areas that generate regular contact with HMRC:
- restricting finance cost relief for individual landlords
- replacement of domestic items relief
- overview of what needs to be considered when deciding whether the cost of ‘repairs’ is allowable as a deduction.
Thursday 18 April – 1pm to 2pm
Statutory Maternity Pay: This webinar has been designed to provide guidance on what payments can be made and how to work them out. HMRC subject matter experts will be online during the webinar to take your questions.
Thursday 25 April – 1pm to 2pm
Payroll Annual Reporting & Tasks: This webinar is designed to help with the end-of-year processes regardless of the system used. The webinar covers end-of-year tasks, the P60 form, sending the last full payroll submission to HMRC and preparing for the new tax year. HMRC subject matter experts will be online during the webinar to take your questions.
Monday 29 April – midday to 1pm
If you have any questions for the HMRC subject experts, please send them to email@example.com prior to the meeting, including the title of the meeting in the ‘Subject’ line of your email.
These interactive meetings will be run on the ‘GoToWebinar’ platform. The organiser will run through how to ask questions on the day.
Feedback received from recent Talking Points meetings indicates that many agents would recommend them to colleagues.